[geeks] ibook or tibook?

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Tue Feb 4 09:09:54 CST 2003

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 15:30, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> The iBook is a G3, the TiBook is a G4... there is no contest... the G3
> loses.  It's like saying a 133 Mhz 486 beats a 100Mhz Pentium.  The
> architectural jump is significant enough that the Mhz are meaningless.

With a 50 percent difference in clock speed? I don't think so. Not just
because of the cpu.

The architecture of the G4 being superior doesn't mean it beats the crap out
of a random G3 in every benchmark. Bit I guess it's time for some
benchmarks again.

http://www.macinfo.de/tests/powermac-g4-400/sawtooth400.html
http://www.accelerateyourmac.com/G4CARDS/OWC_mercury/index3.html

And indeed, the G4 mostly outruns the G3, but there are situations where it
doesn't matter too much. (10-15%)

--
Frank Van Damme
http://www.openstandaarden.be