[geeks] RE: Reevaluating Macintosh (was Dual Xeon vs Dual G4)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sun Feb 2 08:18:30 CST 2003

"Brian" <bri at sonicboom.org> wrote:
> 273% gain, to get from irrelevant to barely noticeable, thats sorta
> like a penny stock that triples but the company still isn't worth a
> damn.  Also ads for their server are/were in several magazines, that
> doesn't qualify as not trying..

Apple was never irrelevant to the industry.  They were irrelevant to you
because you weren't looking.

They're not barely noticeable to the industry, only you - because you
aren't looking.

A company that triples market share, has tripled market share - call it
insignificant all day if you like, it doesn't change the facts.

Aside from that, comparing Apple against the entire computer market is
like comparing...say...Sony against the same market.  The results will
always be skewed and innacurate.  You have to take that into account,
the entire rest of the computer manufacturing world as an entity can't
be compared against a single manufacturer - you have to compare the
*individual* manufacturers against each other in order to get a real
picture of the market share figures.

Christ, even *I* understand that one...

--
Kurt              "My name is James Connolly, I didn't come here to die,
kurt at k-huhn.com    but to fight for the rights of the working man..."