[geeks] Copyright questions

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Feb 1 23:39:39 CST 2003

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Chris Byrne wrote:

> Actually according to most case law it's not. As far as I know there is
> no specific copyright law relating to electronic mailing lists, and in
> the absence of specific legilation we fall back on relevant case law.

Do those cases cover instances where the posters -know- that there is a
fixed and assumed-permanent archive of their posts available to the
general public (and not just members)?

> newsletters, letters pages in magazines, anthologies and the like.

Newsletters are fairly cut-and-dry in the copyright world.  Letters in
magazines are usually such that the magazine owns the copyright.

> The prevailing case law on this issue holds that the publisher owns the
> copyright to all materials printed in a newsletter or anthology (or
> other similar publication) unless specifically noted otherwise.

But, Bill isn't a publisher.  He's a courier.

--
Jonathan Patschke  *)  "The clue phone is ringing, and it's for you."
Thorndale, TX      (*                                 --Dave McGuire