[geeks] Copyright questions

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Sat Feb 1 22:28:38 CST 2003

All, but especially Bill

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my website and I'd like permission to
use attributed quotes from this mailing list in materials I'm posting.
These quotes would primarily be in the context of their original
posting, either in original form or expanded form as part of my writing
section.

There is no accepted law or practice on quoting something like a mailing
list as far as I know. I'm not even sure who would "officially" own such
a copyright. My assumption is that we each own our personal statements
and that permission is required to use them otuside of typical fair use
exemptions. Even so, these exemptions cover things such as limited
quotations for review or commentary, similar to what I'd be doing.

Regardless of any copyright issue I thought it only polite to ask before
doing so.

Chris Byrne