Buying a Mac WAS RE: Re[2]: [geeks] Dual Xeon vs Dual G4

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Sat Feb 1 20:29:46 CST 2003

Fair enough. It seems like just about everybody gave the same reasoning.
Os9 and before sucked, OS X rocks, and g4's kick ass right ;-)

I never would have bought a "classic" box new, for exactly the reasons
you describe above, but I bought a couple of used ones. I ran MacOS from
7.5.3 up to 9, a couple of different UNIX variants, and tried to run the
first X beta (I never got it working properly) on them and loved them.
I've always loved Mac hardware, and industrial design.

The day they announced dual processor G4's I put in a pre-order for one.
A couple of days later they told me it could be up to three months
before I got the box so I cancelled my order and used the cash to build
a new athlon, and buy a used Sun. It turns out it was only a few more
weeks before they started shipping but by then I had already spent the
cash.

The next NEW workstation I plan to buy is a dual g4 tower. When I need
to buy a new laptop I'm going to buy a PowerBook.

Like most of the people here I seem to think that 2 grand is a perfectly
reasonable amount of money to pay for a better designed computer running
a better designed operating system. In fact it's a hell of a bargain.

Chris Byrne