[geeks] Christmas housecleaning

R. Lonstein ross-sunhelp at lonsteins.com
Sat Dec 20 03:24:59 CST 2003

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 06:48:54PM -0500, Thomas Gallaway wrote:
	[snip]
> 1 * Intel dual tape drive (XL Tapes) and Intel backup
> controller. All in 2 external cases connected to each
> other. The backup controller is not y2k compatible. It has
> built in ethernet and some scsi disk inside and a LCD
> display on the front. I am sure you can use the tape drive
> by itselfe without the controller as it is SCSI-2. Heavy.
	[snip]

I'm not interested but a point to someone else with more free time
than I...

If this one is anything like the ones (Intel Storage Express-II) I
salvaged a few years ago the guts of the "controller" is an Intel
ISA/PCI motherboard with socketed 486 and a Symbios SCSI card. The LCD
is driven off the parallel port (I didn't get it working but there
were several projects for these devices). The y2k issue was, at least
with mine, not a firmware problem as the clock could be set and would
hold later dates. It happily ran NetBSD headless if you popped a video
card into it for installation.

I didn't go any further than booting NetBSD 1.5 with mine but it might
be a project for someone and it will help Thom clean up. :)

- Ross