[geeks] cable modem or verizon DSL (in Rhode Island)?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 20 03:24:52 CST 2003

--- Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 08:28:30AM -0800, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > Personally, I like the design of DSL better than Cable for
> > broadband, but I suspect it is based on more emotional, less
> > technical, reasons.
>
> Ehh, all bandwidth is shared at *some* point.

Emotional <> Technical (see above)

Of course, if it wasn't the network would simply be a loopback device!

Anyway, my basic "pseudo-Technical" explaination is that with DSL I can
get unfettered spped between myself and "the big switch" back at the
colo, once my traffic gets there, with diversity and redundancy, I'm
willing to share my bandwidth.

With cable, I am sharing my bandwidth before my packets even leave my
house!, and from there I am sharing the optical connection to "The Big
Switch", where diversity/redundancy kick in and let me get the
throughput I want/desire/need!

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall