[geeks] cable modem or verizon DSL (in Rhode Island)?

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Sat Dec 20 03:24:50 CST 2003

James wrote:

> I've heard many rumors of suckness about Cox cable internet.

   Where, in New England?
   The cable guy who came over after we moved in was very nice: talked to me &
my brother in law for half an hour and exaplined a lot, and set us up with
some cabling. Nice kid. Verizon is The Phone Company and therefore has always
been, well, the phone company.

> In general, I prefer DSL due to a more predictable
> throughput. ... Cable data is a shared (bridged) medium
> and some companies like to oversubscribe an area to keep
> costs down.

   But during quiet time doesn't a cable modem beat DSL?
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator