[geeks] cable modem or verizon DSL (in Rhode Island)?

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Sat Dec 20 03:24:49 CST 2003

I'm ignerunt, so if anyone could give me a hand choosing between Cox Cable and
Verizon DSL for broadband, I'd be grateful.
   I'm vaguely aware of the differences in the services, but I'm frankly
overwhelmed by the dilemma of choosing among two of my least favorite
monopolies.
   The house can take either, as the previous owner had a cable modem, and the
Verizon web site tells me that I already have a DSL line. (Uh, what?) And I
drive past a windowless Verizon building every day a fraction of a mile from
my house, too.
   Is it worth it to take the free modem from either provider? Am I likely to
get more consistent speeds from a DSL line?
   Thanks for any suggestions you can make.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator