[geeks] SGI: Odd, uncommon, or common...

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at ohno.mrbill.net
Sat Dec 20 03:24:49 CST 2003

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 05:16:52AM -0800, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> 3) 256 Meg - a reasonable amount of RAM for a recent IRIX install?

It should be reasonable, but if you use the machine heavily, you
probably will want to upgrade to 384 or more.

> Most websites talk about the R5200 @ 300 MHz, and I am sure that is not
> what I have (based on 'hinv'), were these R5000 systems uncommon?
>
> Also, any thoughts on the R5000 @ 300 MHz vs. R10000 @ 175 MHz for
> desktop use? I've got both, and most likely will only keep one...

First, I believe hinv misreports the r5200 CPU as an R5000.  The real
check would be to pull off the heat sink and look at the chip, which
probably isn't worth it.

Second, while I haven't personally touched both, I'm led to believe that
the r5200 @ 300mhz will be much faster for desktop use.  Based on using
R5ks @ 180mhz and Octanes at 195mhz, I believe that this sounds right.