[geeks] site survey

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Dec 30 18:55:33 CST 2003

Mon, 29 Dec 2003 @ 12:31 -0500, Kurt Huhn said:

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:06:31 -0500
> Joshua Boyd wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 12:16:17PM -0500, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > > Well, Irix users don't have much of a choice of browsers...  :-(
> >
> > I use Mozilla with a relative lack of pain.
>
> Is there a 1.5 (or later) mipspro build yet?  1.4 is still damn slow.

1.5 is slow too, and eats tremendous amounts of memory.

I don't know if it is leaking or what, but I frequently have to restart
it.

Even just loading pages makes it eat CPU.

Try running a trace on Mozilla sometime... I've never seen so many
system calls... hundreds of them per second sometimes.

What gets me is that Firebird is just as bad.  I don't get this idea
that it is supposed to be leaner, because it certainly isn't.

Unfortunately, Mozilla is really the only good browser out there.  I
don't like Opera, at least not the Linux version.

> Firebird is useable, but I really wishit were faster.

Same here.

It requires Mozilla, and on my system it saves me about 2MB of memory
most of the time from my own tests.

I believe that the Firebird and Thunderbird are the future, because the
web page says something about a split browser and email program being
the future of the Mozilla project.