[geeks] OT: bang, bang, bang...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Dec 20 03:25:54 CST 2003

Sun, 07 Dec 2003 @ 16:23 -0500, Phil Stracchino said:

> > > My own complete piece?  No.  But I've done plenty of carriage work.
> >
> > Interesting.  Every restored a historic piece?
>
> I've worked on restoring original pieces, yes.  All Civil War period.

Cool.  Need more people doing that.

It's not fun work, but I've thought about trying to get a couple of
local blacksmiths and a few history buffs to offer to rebuild the
carriages for a few field cannon, to get them back out there.

Heh... like I really need another anachronistic hobby...

> > Around here, we have a lot of Revolution and Civil war artillery, and a
> > lot of it has no carriage.  Evidently hard to get people to do the work,
> > and of course the budget for parks is dismal.
>
> Isn't it always?

Luckily, there are a lot of them on display in the local area, but some
impressive pieces are still stored inside for want of something to put
them on.

Most of them are unlimbered too, and it would be nice to see some set up
for transport, to show people what that looked like.

They paint a lot of the cannons with a heavy, light green colored paint.
I never have figured that out.  From what I have seen of old paintings,
they were not pained green back in the day.

I also wish they would specifically mark replicas.  I guess that ruins
the illusion for some people, but I would like to know which are real
and which are not.

> > It's fun though, to go to Yorktown and watch them fire the shore
> > batteries into the York River.
>
> And that tells me about where "here" is.  :)

Ah, yes... left that out.  I edited out Yorktown before and didn't add
it back.

There are *tons* of deer on the battlefield there.  All that venison,
and you can't have it.  The furry bastards know it too.

> The 3rd US had a British 1812-model howitzer which had been recovered
> with a badly cracked barrel.  In the course of restoring the tube, it
[snip]

Interesting.

I heard one ring in a reenactment, and I bet it was for the same reason.