[geeks] Job shop software suggestions needed...

nimitz at ns1.nimitzbrood.com nimitz at ns1.nimitzbrood.com
Sat Dec 20 03:25:52 CST 2003

Well, thanks to my continued consulting and a slightly improved economy I'm getting my old position back and my old salary. Yay!

Unfortunately this leaves several things dropped in my lap.  One of those things is providing a suggestion for what type of Job Shop software to buy.

The network is currently a Win2k, WinNT, Solaris, AS400 network with a current AS400 MRP solution mandated by a corporate office.

The problem is that this MRP solution doesn't work well for certain things in this division because everything is a custom aerospace manufacturing job.  Thus they need something to better manage that.

That's why I'm tossing this out here to see what people have used because frankly I'm clue-impared where this software is concerned as I've never had to even look at it before.

What it needs to handle is parts, materials, assemblies, and job costing among other things.  The ability to manage documents and drawings would be a plus but I don't necessarily have to have that.

I'm working for an aerospace firm and under a light NDA so please don't ask about details.  No biggie as I'm sure somebody has a suggestion on this list.  ;-)

Any help is highly appreciated - I admit to a large lack of clue in this department.  Thanks again!

Mike Hebel