[geeks] CCW for Ohio!

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sat Dec 20 03:25:48 CST 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 06:45:13PM +0000, wa2egp at att.net wrote:
> > If you'd asked that question fifty or forty years ago, I think you'd
> > have found most Americans were not only *willing* to perform their civic
> > duty, but took pride in doing so.  These days, it's considered a good
> > voter turnout if more than half of the registered voters bother to vote,
> > and that's before even considering the ones who couldn't even be
> > bothered to register.  After all, if they register to vote, they might
> > be called upon (no more than once in each ten years) to serve jury duty.
>
> Which is a false on two accounts in New Jersey.  One, they use driver's
> licenses.  Two, I've been called approximately every two years, once
> it was twice in one year.

What's the big deal about avoiding jury duty anyway?  It would probably
inconvienience my workplace for me to be called, but I don't see why I
should consider it all that big of a deal.  Just carry a stack of books
in, and have a small vacation.

But, then again, I also vote at most non-primaries.  I wish I had time
and energy to figure out who to vote for for the primaries.