[geeks] CCW for Ohio!

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Dec 20 03:25:44 CST 2003

Fri, 12 Dec 2003 @ 22:43 -0800, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez said:

> > Wether the movie was good or not is irrelevant.
>
> Oh, but it is :)... I usually tend to not take seriously arguments with
> "just like the movie..." as I partial to take works of fiction for what
> they are and nothing more. I was just making a pun about how terribly bad
> Red Dawn really was.

Don't agree on either point.

Red Dawn was a neat movie.  Cheesy as hell, and totally implausible
under the conditions noted in the movie, but nothing wrong with it
otherwise.

> There is a point in which people need to say: WTF! And at least demand
> some standards, that may start with the educational system I believe.

Yes, and there is a point at which you have to say WTF! to invasions of
privacy, or the addition of systems which can be used to prevent your
civic duty.

> That is not just a problem of gun control, but an overall problem with the
> government.

Right, which is why I don't want to be registered.

> > Also, civic duty is another reason to own and train with firearms.
> > It need not be soley out of a need for self defense.
>
> My question is, would Americans be willing to serve any sort of civic
> duty? Or do they take their citizenship for granted? It is a genuine
> quetion.

You don't understand what I mean.

It is our civic duty to be armed against our own government, should the
time come when it is no longer maintaining and supporting the republic.

As far as other forms of civic duty... I've always thought there should
be something, maybe even make it mandatory after high school.

Some communities kind of have this sort of thing built in by tradition.

As far as would others be willing... a lot certainly wouldn't, since
they cannot even be bothered to respect law, liberty, and one another.

I would like to note however, that I have been just as disgusted with
European and Asian citizens.  Europe in particular seems to be full of
people who want the government to do everything, and are willing to
concede every right they have if their ass is padded.  In other words,
same problem we have over here.  I think all of western society is in
trouble to a greater or lesser degree.

If that doesn't fit well with Europeans, then they should consider how
differently things can look from afar.