[geeks] CCW for Ohio!

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sat Dec 20 03:25:42 CST 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 10:34:33PM -0800, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > There are times for each, but most people have a really wrong idea of
> > how to use firepower.  Spray and pray is usually right after "Oh shit!"
> > because someone surprised you, and is temporary covering fire until you
> > can hide your ass.
>
> It also depends on the weapon you are using, the M-16 is more a rifle than
> a machine gun. So the spray paint approach doesn't really make much sense,
> I assume that is the reason why there is no full auto in American 16's.

Any more.

(Personally, I consider the three-round-burst feature a good idea for
untrained troops, but with proper fire discipline and trigger control,
it shouldn't be necessary.  I know from personal experience I can
squeeze off consistent two and three round bursts with an automatic
weapon.)

> Other machines, and of course the AK comes to mind as the natural counter
> example, do not make much sense unless you spray with them.

No, whether you're using an AK, a G3, or an M16, short controlled bursts
are your friend.  "Spray and pray" makes a lot of noise, impresses your
friends if they don't know better, and burns up ammo fast; it's
occasionally of limited tactical value as suppressive fire when it all
just dropped in the pot, but it's not much good for hitting anything.

> To this point
> the whole machine, including the muzzle anti-torque (I do not know the
> correct term in English) is geared towards rapid fire. Heck even the
> cartridge tells you about what is the intended approach for the machine.

Really?  So how do you consider the 7.62x39 round different from the
5.56x45 round as far as "intended use" of the rifle firing it?

Both were designed for the same purpose -- a light round (so that troops
can carry a lot of it) of greater than pistol-caliber power (so that
it's more effective than a submachinegun), with low recoil impulse (to
that it's controllable in automatic fire), to be fired in a rifle not
intended to be used to engage targets beyond about 400 meters.  The fact
that the US opted for a lighter, smaller-caliber bullet at higher
velocity is, practically speaking, neither here nor there, except to
note that it took several generations of revision of both the M16 and
its ammunition to make them actually work as originally intended, while
the Kalashnikov worked just fine "out of the box", as it were.