[geeks] CCW for Ohio!

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Sat Dec 20 03:25:36 CST 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, N. Miller wrote:

> And, just to put my two cents in on Francisco and Kurt's
> barrage--Francisco, wtf kind of response do you expect to
> get when you constantly refer to anyone who likes/uses/
> believes in the 2nd amendment of the US Constitution
> as a "gun nut"?!?

Nadine, I did not refer to the gun users in this list as gun nuts, the
only time I used the term was when discussing the counter arguments of the
anti gun extremist, with equally extremist "gun nut" arguments was not
very productive IMHO. I did not label anyone in this list as a gun nut,
and if I ever use that term... I would not mean it as a personal insult.
In the same sense that a car nut, is some one who loves cars, I tend to
use the term gun nut to refer to someone who loves guns. If that somehow
was interpreted as a personal insult, then I must apologize. What I would
find insulting is that some one here would assume that I would make
serious insults about anyone on this list, specially since most of my
posts are made with a certain sense of levity. And in case you missed I am
in favor of personal gun ownership, not unlimited access to guns, but
responsible gun use... as long as there is a mechanism in place to
regulate who gets to have a gun.

What I take issue with is the fact that you seem to get all worked out
because I *may* have used an offesive term somehow, whereas Mr. Huhn can
go on his rants calling me a "fucktard", "prick" et al, and I become the
one who goes around insulting people....

> I don't care if you've seen your buddies spill their guts in
> combat, are a world class gun smith/armorer, or whatever.

Of course you don't, and I would not expect you to either, afterall you
already called me an "old soldier" in a previous thread.

> Calling me or anyone else on the list a "gun nut" shows you
> have no respect for our opinions, either.

At this rate I am also going to be accused of eating babies, again, why
would I go insulting people left and right? In case you missed it, I
refrained myself A LOT from the language that Mr. Huhn used in his
response. IMHO asking someone to "shut the fuck up" is a real lack of
respect for anyones opinion, I never told or said any of the pro-gun
people to shut the fuck up, or "you are wrong", all I said and expressed
we my own personal opinions. If having a different opinion is some sort of
a bigger insult in your opinion then well... what can I do?

  You try to hide
> behind the generalization--not specifying who you are talking
> about, but it's clear you mean *us*--Kurt, myself, Phil, or any-
> one else on the list who has expressed a positive opinion about
> firearms.

Again, I am sorry if reading and comprehension skills run a tad low, but
in case you missed I agree with private ownership of firearms, I just
have to also be in favor of some sort of regulation of such ownership
based on proven abilities to own a gun. If I wanted to insult you, or anyone
else in your list of buddies, I am man enough to do it directly, and
specifically. Trying to read in between my lines, or assigning me facts/
actions which I have not done is a tad annoying to tell you the truth. You
can twist my words all you want... but believe me, when I and if I wanted
to insult any of you, do not worry you would be the first ones to know.