[geeks] CCW for Ohio!

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sat Dec 20 03:25:34 CST 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 12:55:05AM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Thu, 11 Dec 2003 @ 15:37 -0600, Mike Hebel said:
>
> > Exactly the reason that you should _not_ get a firearms card.  If they
> > start taking away weapons then yours is one of the first to go and
> > you're "on the list" for "observation".
>
> What is a firearms card?

Something like California's BSFC, I assume, Basic Firearms Safety
Certificate.

(Which, at the time I took it, basically certified that you were not a
complete moron.  IIRC, the passing score was 15 correct answers out of
20 multiple choice questions.  Again IIRC, I missed two questions out of
the 20 -- one because it was poorly worded, another because IMHO the
"officially correct" answer was flat-out WRONG.)

> You mean a CCW?
>
> I have always found the concealed carry thing ridiculous.
>
> I think it is safer if people carry concealed, permit or not.
>
> Think about it... the bad guys are going to be packing concealed heat
> regardless of the law, so the restriction only hurts the good guys.
>
> Further, how can you avoid a concealed weapon when it is cold enough for
> a coat?

All excellent points.  As the California Rifle and Pistol Association is
fond of saying on billboards all over the state, "Society is safer when
criminals don't know who's armed."

> Do some states differentiate between deliberately concealed and
> concealed by consequence?

I honestly have no idea.