[geeks] RE: cable modem or verizon DSL (in Rhode Island)?

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Sat Dec 20 03:25:25 CST 2003

Serves me right: I signed up with the phone company (i.e., Verizon DSL), and
when I called a week later, it turns out that the operator "entered" the order
but didn't "submit" it -- so I wait another week. Grrr...stoopid phone company
for sucking, and stoopid me for trusting them not to suck!
   Anyway, I have the DSL modem (a Westell 2200, I think) at home and the
service is due to be live by Friday, so I'll report how well it works.
   I picked up a D-Link 614+ wireless & 10/100 4-port unit in order to use my
laptop on the DSL link; I haven't fired up the Westell yet, obviously, but the
little router works great.
   Is there anything interesting about either of these items?
   Also, my brother-in-law suggested that I bury conduit to the neighbor's
house (or give him wireless access) and then split the monthy fee with him.
Has anyone done anything like this, and not had it be a headache?
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator