[geeks] Itanium 32 bit performace.... hahahaha

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 20 03:25:24 CST 2003

--- Kevin <kevin at mpcf.com> wrote:
> I've heard this before, but have never understood it.  What is it
> about Alphas that requires more RAM than other processors?  My Alpha
> has 256 and seems to run fine as a file server.

I think this is mainly a RISC vs. CISC point, not that the Alpha chip
is that much worse than other RISC chips...

Also, Alpha was *always* 64 bit, even when other RISC chips were still
32 bit, and the larger instruction size led to larger executables...

But, I am getting light headed for speaking above my personal exp., so
I'll leave it at that, and hope others can expand on my thoughts if needed...

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall