[geeks] Re: Gun Control Thoughts

Ido Dubrawsky idubraws at dubrawsky.org
Sat Dec 20 03:25:20 CST 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 08:32:20PM -0600, geeks-request at sunhelp.org wrote:
> From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net>
> Subject: Re: [geeks] gun control thoughts
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 11:08:39PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:
> > On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 15:51:04 -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > > - Only point your weapon (loaded or unloaded) at something you intend
> > > to kill.
> >
> > I'm hardly the right person to advise someone on guns, but personally I
> > wouldn't try pointing an unloaded gun at something I intended to kill.
> > I'd have assumed it wouldn't work too well, and would probably make the
> > target extremely grouchy.
>
> Well, actually, this makes perfect sense with a little more thought.
> It's the second of Cooper's Laws.
>
> First law:  "All guns are always loaded."  i.e, ALWAYS take all proper
> safety precautions with a gun as though it were loaded, *even if you
> "know" it isn't*, and never take someone's word for it that a gun is
> unloaded -- ALWAYS visually verify it yourself.
>
> And second law:  "Never allow the muzzle to cover anything you are not
> willing to destroy."  Even if you "know" it's not loaded -- because one
> day, you just might be mistaken, and saying "Oops" afterwards doesn't
> cut much ice.

  Ahhh...Jeff Cooper.  Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time.  I
miss my SigSauer P220 (.45).  That was a good gun...I also miss my Remington
Wingmaster 12 gauge and my 30-06 I used to have...and my Mossberg 12 guage with
the rifle sight.  I used to love shooting slugs at targets from 100 yards...
it was really neat to pull the trigger and then literally just "watch" the
slug as it traveled to the target...You had this "boom" from the gun firing,
about a 1 second quiet...then "plink" when the slug hit the metal target.
  I had a gun instructor who had "corollary" to Cooper's laws: "When you shoot
at an assailant, you shoot to kill" (his reasoning was: better to be tried by
12 than carried by 6).

Ido
Ido Dubrawsky, CISSP           			E-mail:  ido at dubrawsky.org
Network Security Architect