[geeks] Sharp corporate network printer/scanner/copier question...

Martin Wedel geeks at xsintrk.net
Sat Dec 20 03:25:20 CST 2003

Hello Mike,

Our local Sharp VAR has a salewoman with big tits, so we ended up with
several assorted Sharp AR do-everything units.

The Windows drivers are a pain (and I think the driver to print PDFs is extra)
and the performance is pretty horrible.

We've tried to print from them within a medical billing package that
runs on SCO (oh the joy). They are supposed to be 100% LJ driver compatible, but
I think we've yet to get one to print with lpd. I don't deal with that side of
the company (yet) except for 'extreme unix fire-fighting' so I don't have all the details. I imagine it would
be a similar PITA with AS400. I'm not sure if the situation changes if
you use the 'Fiery' print server do-hickey.

I also believe that Sharp sells their copier toner only through
VARS/certified retailers to help them protect their markup, so that's
another thing to keep in mind. No run to Office Max for a new toner in
an emergency.

Again, double check the above, but that seems to be my experience with
them, and they are generally despised at work by both admins and end
users.

Drop me a line if you have any detailed questions, I can ask the SCO
dude for more info.

mwedel -> xsintrk dot net.

-Martin