[geeks] gun control thoughts

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Sat Dec 20 03:25:19 CST 2003

On Dec 8, 2003, at 5:27 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 06:10:39PM -0500, Nick wrote:
> > I realize this is mostly a joke, but the original point is guns are
> always
> > loaded.  It dosn't matter if you can see every point where ammo may
> be,
> > and can see there is no ammo.  It's still loaded.  Don't fuck with
> it.
>
> Exactly.  What Nick said.  ALWAYS ASSUME ITS LOADED, even if you know
> otherwise.

My contribution to the gun thread;

Camp Pendleton, Infantry Training School - 1986.  Charlie company is
learning the basics of patrolling.  My squad is heading out; across the
way another squad clearing their weapons after coming back in.  I
watched as a Marine is fiddling with his weapon, doing something that
involves a lot of grunting and fooling with the bolt.  Slowly his M16
went from the vertical slowly down until it was pointing in our
direction.  Then BANG.

Luckily we only had blanks  I _felt_ the jet of compressed air from the
blank round strike me in the forehead.  I've been a firm believer in
weapons safety after that.

Brian