[geeks] gun control thoughts

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sat Dec 20 03:25:18 CST 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 11:08:39PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 15:51:04 -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > - Only point your weapon (loaded or unloaded) at something you intend
> > to kill.
>
> I'm hardly the right person to advise someone on guns, but personally I
> wouldn't try pointing an unloaded gun at something I intended to kill.
> I'd have assumed it wouldn't work too well, and would probably make the
> target extremely grouchy.

Well, actually, this makes perfect sense with a little more thought.
It's the second of Cooper's Laws.

First law:  "All guns are always loaded."  i.e, ALWAYS take all proper
safety precautions with a gun as though it were loaded, *even if you
"know" it isn't*, and never take someone's word for it that a gun is
unloaded -- ALWAYS visually verify it yourself.

And second law:  "Never allow the muzzle to cover anything you are not
willing to destroy."  Even if you "know" it's not loaded -- because one
day, you just might be mistaken, and saying "Oops" afterwards doesn't
cut much ice.