[geeks] Re: [rescue] Octane R10K/175 CPU module available

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Dec 20 03:25:17 CST 2003

Sun, 07 Dec 2003 @ 16:16 -0500, Phil Stracchino said:

> > All I remember is they were wicked fast when I shot them years ago.
> >
> > But the numbers above come from a current reloading site, and a couple
> > of others generally agreed with the numbers.
>
> There has to be an error.  It makes no sense that a case with half the
> powder capacity, firing the same projectile through the same bore using
> the same powder, can achieve 20% higher velocity.

I figured it was due to different desired efficiencies.

I don't have a book on ballistics any more.  They are nice, but last
time I went browsing, the local sporting goods didn't have any.

I figured there would be one or two at least on the WWW, but haven't
found a complete one yet.

The 5200fps figure quoted in this thread... that is awfully high.

The rate of expanding gases is around 6000fps, and few rounds can
consistently go over 5000fps and still be usable.