[geeks] Re: Gun Control

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sat Dec 20 03:25:17 CST 2003

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 01:09:01 -0500
Thomas Gallaway wrote:

> Here is what I think. First of all I am 100% strictly against guns. I
> live
> in the usa and I know stuff is beeing handled the wrong way. I know
> you can own guns in germany too if you have a license as a hunter
> and I know if you want to buy a gun you could buy one in germany
> no matter what. Now the question is are they just a bit smarter or why
> are there less gun related crimes than in the USA.

I believe that an awful lot of this can be traced to social issues, not
the ability (or lack of) to get a gun.

> Also I think that guns itselfe build up bad charma. If you own a gun
> you more likely get (or want??) into a situation to make use of it.
> Also if you have a gun the chances are 50% that if the person doing
> harm to you can shoot you too. So why take the 50% chance. If the
> other person does see you have a gun he for sure will shoot.

If, by that first sentance, you mean that you'll want to use your guns,
you may be correct.  *IF* by "use" you mean practice, gain knowledge,
become familiar with, learn about, gain proficiency with, hunt for
food, hunt for sport, etc. Seems kind of pointless to own something that
you'r not going to use.  That's why my boss doesn't own a car.

As far as your 50% claim, it's pure and unadulterated bogosity.  You
can't generalize situations into something like that.  You really need
to know what you'r talking about if ou're going to jump in like that.

> But I guess it will just take a few more decades until people wake up.
> Back when I was still living in germany I was never scared of beeing
> at the wrong place. Here I always have this thought in the back of my
> head that if I say something wrong to somebody, and he has a gun,
> he might shoot me. Why can I not have peace in my mind?

This is, again, more a social issue than a gun/no gun issue.  If you're
so afraid of saying something wrong to someone, perhaps you should stop
saying wrong things to people?  Just a guess.

The fact is, your paranoia about guns isn't reflected on the actual
state of most legal gun owners.  If you're getting in the face of
gangbangers and violent criminals, then it won't matter if they have a
gun or not - they're going to do you harm no matter what.  Mr Joe
Average Gun Owner, though, you have nothing to fear from him unless you
*really* threaten him.  In fact, you would have to become very violent,
very quickly, for things to escalate to the point where he's going to
present a sidearm.  Most legal gun owners, and those with CCW
permits, are far more aware of the law, and the risks they take by
presenting a gun, than anyone else - and all of those people have more
to lose by doing so than an any criminal with a saturday night special
stuck down the front of his pants.

> By the way I say this cause I had a crazy coworker at work point a gun
> at my head cause he wanted to show how cool his gun is. Not to
> mention that was his last day at work. I told my boss I would quit if
> he would not fire him. From that day on I was scared to go to my car
> after work...

Sounds like you met one of the very few idiots with a gun.  However, you
simply can't legislate for the 1%.  It doesn't work that way here.

--
Kurt                 "I am not aware that any community has a right to
kurt at k-huhn.com       force another to be civilized."