[geeks] Re: [rescue] Octane R10K/175 CPU module available

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sat Dec 20 03:25:16 CST 2003

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 08:16:40PM -0700, Dan Duncan wrote:
> As I recall, 'Phil Stracchino' wrote:
> > I don't really have anything compact, but that's been largely moot
> > because I've never simultaneously both possessed my own firearms and
> > lived in a state that'll allow me to carry'em.  When I carry at home,
> > the P14 is my carry gun.  It's what I'm used to, and the weight doesn't
> > bother me.
>
> You really can't beat a 1911 (or similar) anyway.

Actually, John M. Browning thought he'd made a few mistakes, and
corrected them in what became the FN-Browning P35 "Hi-Power".  For the
msot part, I agree with him, with the exception of the magazine
disconnector (and I don't know if that was his idea).  My Hi-Power was
my own first centerfire pistol, and I still love it (sans magazine
disconnector, which I removed).

> > What do you shoot those 300-grainers in, anyway - a Ruger, a S&W, or a
> > Taurus?
>
> I shoot them in a Ruger Redhawk with a 7.5"bbl and 4x scope.  (No, not
> a Super Redhawk... I had to have it tapped for a scope)

*nod*  The Redhawk's a nice pistol.  The Super Redhawk is hella strong,
but frankly, IMHO it's ugly.

> I suspect they're intended
> for a rifle because even with a 7.5" barrel there's a whole lot of unburned
> powder resulting in a huge ball of fire out the end.

They may be intended as carbine loads, or possibly they just made a
poor choise of powder.  I know a lot of commercial 9mm is loaded with
Winchester 231 because of its low flash signature, but I hate the stuff
-- it always leaves my guns filthy dirty.  I prefer Blue Dot for my 9mm
and .45ACP loads; I get better exterior ballisticsand it burns cleaner.

> Have
> you seen the .500 S&W?  It was in Popular Mechanics recently and tops out
> around 2600ft-lbs as I recall.  (IN A HANDGUN?  WHAT THE HELL??)  The .270
> I use for antelope isn't that powerful!

Yup.  I wouldn't mind trying it ...   *once*.  :)

> > (Not least because I'm a big believer in shot placement, and flat
> > trajectories aid shot placement.)
>
> Oh yeah.  I love how flat my .270 shoots.  Antelope are pretty canny, but
> they don't think I pose a threat at 400 yards. BUMMER of a birthmark, Hal.

I love that particular cartoon.  One of my other favorites is the bear
with the nervous grin in the cross-hairs, pointing conspiratorially at
the bear standing next to him.

I've never shot a .270 yet.  I'd like to try one sometime.  I miss my
.308 Mauser ... it was custom-built for someone I used to know, Mark X
action with a 24" bull barrel.  It was heavy, but if I did my part and
my handloads did theirs, it'd shoot five-shot 5/8" groups at 100 yards.
Just one ragged hole.

Unfortunately, I took it to a local gunsmith for reblueing a few years
back, and he ruined it.  I'm about 99% certain he dropped it and sprung
the receiver.  After I got it back, it wouldn't shoot into 6", and when
I eventually got around to measuring it, I found the barrel was 20 mils
off-axis from the receiver and bearing hard against the fore-end.  I
managed to re-float it, but it still wouldn't do better than 3" groups.

However, I can't prove anything, and he wouldn't admit to anything.  As
you can imagine, I was mad as hell.  (For reference,. the guy works out
of the back of Sportsman's Supply on Bascom Avenue in San Jose, CA.  San
Jose seems to have a severe shortage of competent gunsmiths.)

One day when I have money again, I'll replace it with something nice
like a Blaser LRS2.

> The P10 is basically a compact version of the same gun.  I've never
> fired a P14, but I suspect the P10 has more muzzle flip (lighter)
> and less accuracy (shorter barrel) but it seems to be otherwise
> similar.  The magazine is the same size except for the length.

Yup, I've handled one, but not shot it.  I like the use of a coned
barrel instead of a bushing.