[geeks] Re: [rescue] Octane R10K/175 CPU module available

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Sat Dec 20 03:25:14 CST 2003

As I recall, 'Shawn Wallbridge' wrote:
>   I wasn't sure what to expect, since it was my first time with a
> handgun. I started out with a Ruger 9mm, and it was nice. Then I tried
> a Glock (17, I think) and it was horrible. The casing's were hitting my
> shoulder, my head, one almost went down my shirt.

I don't care for Glocks, but love my Rugers.  My 9mm Ruger (KP89DC)
has a fairly loose-fitting slide so the accuracy isn't wonderful,
but it shoots ANYTHING.  No jams, even with cheap reloads.  A
friend at the range once gave me a whole box because his Glock (also
probably a 17) kept jamming on them.  I think Glocks are pretty high
quality weapons, but I just don't like them.  I really like a hammer
or a safety (or both) for piece of mind.

> I took the Glock back and decided to try something larger. I tried a
> Kimbey (?) .45 and I fell in love. It was just right. Everything, the
> gun, the recoil. It was perfect, I used it the rest of the night. My
> friend kept asking me when I was going to switch.

Probably a Kimber 1911 clone.  Many shooters consider the 1911 to
be the best handgun ever designed (it was designed in 1911) and
I happen to agree with them.  What did you think of the grip
safety?  (a spring loaded tab pressed into the grip by the webbing
between your thumb and forefinger)  It takes NO effort on your part
to press that in when you grip the gun for firing, but unless you're
gripping the gun just that way, it CANNOT be fired.  How cool is that?

-DanD

# The city- if you can call Great Los Angeles a city; it is more of a
#     condition...  -Heinlein