[geeks] Swapping Sparc boxes...

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Sat Dec 20 03:25:10 CST 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> At that point, the $64 question is:

>   "Does Linux have a facility to remember what number a particular HBA
>    got the last time the system booted up?"

> The real win in the Solaris world is that, if you add a HBA, you're
> guaranteed that it'll have the highest controller number (once booted
> into Solaris, that is).  If you have c0, c1, c2, and c3, the next one
> will be c4.  If you yank c3 later, c4 is still c4.

> If Linux can't do that, they've really only solved half the problem,
> although, it's still a welcome improvement.

Agreed.  I suspect Linux doesn't do it.  And I don't know if it has been
corrected, but I recall one of the problems with devfs is that it's
a memory-only, so if you tweak permissions, there needs to be an
external mechanism to store them.  I haven't tracked it in a while
though, so maybe they've fixed that...

> > I also wonder why the two forms insist on using DIFFERENT nomenclature.
> > Is it so wrong to be somewhat consistent?  Why c0 when they call it
> > host0 above?  Why u0 for lun0?

> Probably a combination of wanting to mimic SunOS 5 and someone getting a
> hair up their backside about LUNs not always being "disks".

But why not just use 'l' then?  Why do you have to call it something
completely different?  *sigh*

--Kurt