[geeks] Access rant

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Dec 20 03:25:10 CST 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> The fix? Use ODBC connections,

I thought this is what we were talking about.

> bypassing all the MS candy that killed performance - it is funny that
> we had to migrate to the lowest common denominator interface to get
> adequate performance...

MS have proved over and over again that it is foolhardy to trust them to
DTRT with their own products.

> MS Access was migrated off of because it corrupted too often, and we
> routinely "filled" the database (max is what, 2 Gig?)...

Yep.  I had a client that I tried telling that to.  They didn't believe
me.  I got a phonecall at 7:30 one morning after they started believing.
Gotta love emergency gigs like that.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Earth works.  That's proof positive that Mother
Elgin, TX         (   Nature isn't a suit."            --Dave McGuire