[geeks] Access rant

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Dec 20 03:25:09 CST 2003

Thu, 04 Dec 2003 @ 11:42 -0500, Kevin said:

> Perhaps, but i'm not certain i'd want a product that uses an SQL
> database backend if it was written by a developer who doesn't
> understand SQL.
>
> I guess it would be better than Access but i still wouldn't really
> trust it.

Access can be a good tool to design a schema with.

Otherwise, I see little point in it.

Also, people banging out thoughtless ad-hoc queries with tools like
Access are often a major load on database servers.

Sometimes making access a little painful causes people to think more
before they try something.

At one shop, I think the DBAs were close to installing a punched card
reader for ad-hoc queries.

I know SQL, but I would still like to see a nice schema editor for
UNIX/Linux.