[geeks] Swapping Sparc boxes...

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Sat Dec 20 03:25:09 CST 2003

As I recall, '"David L Kindred (Dave)"' wrote:
> But the full-specification names are great when you really need to be
> specific.  But damn, it's too much typing dealing with them otherwise.
> The computer should be smart enough to figure all that crap out for you
> when you refer to the "first disk" or whatever.  But then again this
> format is good when some things change but not others.  You can remove a
> tape drive without borking all the rest or whatever.

Version 5.x of <peeve>whatever-the-hell-DEC-unix-is-called-this-week</peeve>
assigns virtual names to physical disks based on the order in which
they are discovered.  Thus /dev/disk/dsk0 will always be /dev/disk/dsk0
no matter which bus, target, or LUN it ends up as.  This has some
advantages.  (I'm also fond of some advfs functions like clone filesets,
easy fileset quotas within a domain, and multiple disks in a file domain.)

-DanD

# "The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason."
# Thomas Paine