[geeks] Access rant

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Sat Dec 20 03:25:08 CST 2003

On Thursday, December 4, 2003, at 12:21 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Mike Hebel wrote:
>
>>   Oracle was able to pass the "hammer" test (0) and almost _never_
>> went
>> down.  The MS SQL went down if we even breathed at it.  And that was
>> with all the patches and upgrades and buttloads of RAM.
>
> Hmm... Which version is this?  I haven't used MS SQL since version 7,
> and it was a good product back then.

I don't recall but it was somewhere about 6 months after Oracle 8 was
released.
It's been a long time since I did any serious database work so I may be
"old farting" it here due to poor recall.

>> (0) Take and write a small app that generates random "where" searches
>> in SQL for all the tables in the databases.  Make sure that will run
>> on
>> all the platforms in your business.  Run it on every machine at once.
>
> Oooooooh.  I like!

We ran it on all the machines individually.  Afterwards it occurred to
us that we probably could have just added it to the login scripts and
logged all the machines off and back on.

And no, I don't have a copy of it any more.

Mike