[geeks] Swapping Sparc boxes...

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Sat Dec 20 03:25:07 CST 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Mike Hebel wrote:

> The webserver is running a fairly current version of Debian but I'm
> still wondering if it'll have to be re-loaded if I move the drive from
> the SS5 to the SS20.

> Are both architectures in the Debian Sparc kernel?  What's the easiest
> way for me to find out?

Both are in the kernel.  I suppose it's possible you could compile one
that wouldn't work on both, but in particular, both are the same
kernel architecture, so that would be much harder =)

You should be fine to just move the disk.  Things that COULD bite you
is if your SCSI chain differs.  Linux's default device names for SCSI
devices are brain damaged.  If you have another device before the ID
of your boot drive (or any drive you depend on) Bad Things Happen.

--Kurt