[geeks] Sun Ultra 80 Fast Enough?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Aug 15 00:21:16 CDT 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Aaron Finley wrote:

> Just wondering if the Sun Ultra 80 at 2-4 processor @ 450, expert 3D is
> fast enough these days for general computing?

*blink*  *blink*

> I'll be doing some web design, graphic design, web surfing, and other
> things at college.

I was doing that stuff on an -Indy- not too long ago.  In fact, these
days I do heavy software development on an Octane/195/SI, and, at work,
I use an Ultra 10.  I'd just about kill for a quad processor Ultra 80.

> I find the overall computer very attractive, just the processors seem quite
> outdated.

Outdated how?  UltraSPARC-II is just a generation old.  Remember, clock
SPEED is a misnomer.  It's clock RATE.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "We're Texans.  We figure out ways to do these
Elgin, TX          (    things..."                    --Bill Bradford