[geeks] Paper Tape

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Aug 12 23:16:51 CDT 2003

Isn't it amazing how storage has advanced?

A friend of mine and I just calculated that if he stored his half-hour
TV program (he does infomercials) on 400-byte/meter paper tape with at a
width of 8 bits, his commercial (saved as an AVI) would take 16.1
million meters of paper tape.  To be played back in real time, it would
need to travel in excess of over twenty thousand miles per hour.

When encoded base64, it would require over 113 million 80-column
punchcards, a stack almost five miles tall.

And it fits really nicely on a 4.7" DVD, too.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "We're Texans.  We figure out ways to do these
Elgin, TX          (    things..."                    --Bill Bradford