[geeks] Re: Metaframe [WAS] Bad practice in the Win/X86 world

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Tue Apr 22 19:47:44 CDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 00:38, Kevin wrote:
> How does the Citrix stuff work?  I mean as opposed to the two
> desktops thing?

With Citrix, you can "publish" applications.  Then using either the
Citrix ICA client, and "program neighborhood" or citrix web ICA client,
and nfuse (done in a web page), the users get a choice of what
application to run.  Then, when they run it, it appears in it's own
window, which can look (if you use the seamless window option) identical
to the same application running locally.  Of course, their drive letters
and stuff may be different (depending on how you have things
configured), but it has greatly simplified things for our users, and
most like the nfuse setup a lot better than using the terminal server
client.

> That is a major area of confusion for some of
> my users, especially in the days where you couldn't map
> LPT ports and such.

It makes things a lot easier for the users.  And we don't even map the
local drives or printers.  And as a side bonus, it can confuse the hell
out of the users who think that they're computer geniuses.

	-Dan Sikorski