[geeks] Re: Metaframe [WAS] Bad practice in the Win/X86 world

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Mon Apr 21 22:24:42 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 16:54, Gavin Hubbard wrote:
> There are a lot of reasons. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the
> Windows terminal service development history, but Citrix actually developed
> the technology back in the NT 3.5 days and then licensed the technology to
> MS. The license deliberately restricts the features and protocols in TS so
> that Citrix will always maintain the competitive advantage.
>
> It is useful to think of Metaframe as being the superset of TS.

at $work we are (still) in the process of migrating users from a NT 4.0
terminal server to a 2000 server running metaframe XP, using nfuse (web
based application server).  While i haven't dug into the citrix stuff, i
can tell you right now that it's definitely far superior to plain ol
terminal server.  If for no other reason, it's far less confusing for
the users when they don't have two desktops like they used to.

And to build on a thread that's on rescue right now (and i'll likely
chime in there too once i get caught up (93 messages behind right now))
the old terminal sever that was replaced by citrix/nfuse was scheduled
to reboot itself EVERY NIGHT.  and it is STILL screwed up, and has to be
rebooted right before the beginning of the day at LEAST once a day.  (It
could probably be fixed, but it's on it's way out anyway, so there's no
reason to worry about it now.)

	-Dan Sikorski