[geeks] Help for a friend (suggestions, not $ ;^)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 20 17:09:42 CDT 2003

Hello all,

A friend of mine is putting together a proposal to host either a
session or forum on "Using Mainstream Unix at home", and I was
wondering if anyone here had any additional thoughts for him to
consider. Currently the list is as follows (from memory):

Why run Unix at home?
 - Career training
 - Use what you know?
 - Low-cost/free hardware
 - Stability/reliability/etc.

Typical hardware for home use
 - New vs. Used vs. Free
 - Typical home hardware
    - minimal system suggestions for "plesant" experience
    - expected prices for systems
 - using FCC Class "A" hardware at home
 - environmental concerns (noise, power, size)
 - Cost vs. performance

Applications:
 - Web/Email applications
 - Personal file/MP3/WWW server
 - Office Automation (word processing, spreadsheet, DB, etc.)
 - Personal Applications (Quicken, maillist, etc.)
 - Digital Photography
    - unload pictures
    - maipulate photos (Photoshop, GIMP, etc.)
 - Games
    - Arcade
    - Simulations (of real "card" or "dice" games)
    - First-person Shooting (Doom, Quake, etc.)
    - Other

Harware limitations
 - MHz vs. GHz (how can a 500 MHz CPU best a 2 GHz CPU?)
 - Networking (in a home Cable/DSL or dial-up scenario)
 - Wireless support (or lack there of)
 - portable solutions (thanks to Tadpole, others)
 - Printers (no USB, Postscript, etc.)
 - Monitors
    - Maintaining older monitors - worth it?
    - Using new SVGA monitors (tube & Flat screen)

Software limitations
 - Securing legal OS for use
    - Hobbyist programs (and their limitations)
    - License transfer with H/W?
    - SMP support
 - Freeware availability
    - Tar Ball vs. compiled binary
    - depth of offerings

The Little Old Lady test
 - What would a little old lady need to use Unix at home?

What my friend is looking for right now is any additional topics/areas
that you think would round-out this presentation. He is not looking for
details/suggestion on websites, hardware sources, etc. He needs to get
the proposal in to Usenix tonight/tomorrow, but the talk isn't until
the fall... Any topics/ideas you think should be added?

The idea is to present a "fourth option" to home users (the other three
choices are anything MS, Mac, and Linux) - the point of the talk is to
consider/praise Unix, not tear into MS, Mac, Linux environments.

Thanks in advance, my friend & I appreciate it!

=====
Lionel

http://search.yahoo.com