[geeks] some photos of my collection

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Sun Oct 27 01:20:38 CST 2002

> > I noticed one error on the page.  You can get a Hobbyist license
> > for OpenVMS for free.  You aren't restricted to one CPU like the
> > Sun license, either.
>
> I poked around for awhile looking for that when I got the alphas
> earlier this month and could only find a for-money license.  I found a
> couple of pages that made reference to a hobbyist license, but only if
> you were a member of certain organizations (which I'm not).  :-(
> Example: http://www.montagar.com/hobbyist/ ... it seems to join
> Encompass, just to get OpenVMS, it would cost about $90.  I signed up
> for an associate affiliation with them to see if that was enough to get
> the license.  They do make you jump through more hoops than Sun.

The associate membership with Encompass is enough to get a
license.  Another nice part of the OpenVMS hobbyist license
is that, unlike Sun's license, you get a license for a whole
lot of products, including the compilers.  There are also some
other companies participating in the program.

> Do you know if there is something like this for Tru64 as well?

Tru64 has the "Enthusiast's License", which costs $99 (but does
include the OS CD media), with upgrades for $39.  There aren't
a whole lot of additional products included with the Enthusiast's
License.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net