[geeks] Oh my god...

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Nov 29 11:45:10 CST 2002

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 12:03:17PM -0500, Dan Sikorski wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 11:09, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > Yes, but we've also established that you haven't seen anything written
> > in VB.  I expect that most new VB projects will be .NET projects in the
> > near future, and whether you've seen it or not, there are lots of
> > corporations doing VB development.
>
> And he also probably hasn't seen the pure horror of applications written
> in access actually trying to be used to do real work.  (Note that i said
> TRYING, shit never works, but the "developers" have great job security
> until someone around there gets a clue.)

There was a company I worked for the was developing a system with MS SQL
as the backend (heavy use of stored procedures, triggers, etc) and
Access as the front end.  Yetch.

BTW, has anyone taken a gander at PgAccess?  http://www.pgaccess.org/
It is a MS Access like environment, except using PostgreSQL on the
backend, and substituting their own language for Access BASIC.  I think
it looks kinda nifty, and I'm looking forward to trying it when the
semester is over.

--
Joshua D. Boyd