[geeks] The price of printing

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 27 22:01:04 CST 2002

--- Joshua D Boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:
> > The $1 payment is really a token payment, IMHO - as I recall, the
> > raw materials (paper, toner & binding) probably cost $1 +/-.
> > If you wanted to print a 250 page book at home, that would consume
> > 5%
> > of a 5,000  page toner cartridge (at $50 for the cartridge, that's
> > $2.50 for the toner), add in a half-ream of paper ($2? $1 if your
> > printer duplexes and you use both sides of the paper), and let's
> > say binding is free... You spent $3.50 +/- for your *free* book...
> > Factor in your time to oversee all this, and $5-7 doesn't seem
> > that bad...
>
> Where do this numbers for operating lasers printers of like $.02 and
> $.03 per page come from then?

250 pages at $.03/ea comes to $7.50 - I estimated a bit less, since I
used a very low-cost toner cartridge price ($50 is low, most nice HP
printer toner carts run $75-90).

> It would only be reasonable to duplex.

If your printer supports it - if not, ad in your time for waiting for
the "odd" set to print, then flip the stack and sart again (double the
free labor, it's still free).

>  And I think we generally pay
> less for paper, like, maybe $20 a box, which I think is 10 reams.
> We do a relatively large amount of printing at my house, and those
> boxes of paper don't last all that long.

$20 for a box of paper is a good price, $30 is a more "street" price,
but I'll take your price of $20/case, or $2.00/ream - that means
$.004/page...

New numbers:

250 pieces of paper from a $20 case @ $.004 = $1.00

250 pages worth of $75 toner (good for 5K pages) @ $.015/ea = $3.75

Binding = $free

Labor = $free (double for manual duplex, if selected ;^)

Electricity to run all the equipment = $free

Internet access = $free

Depreciation on the printer = $free

Your 250 page book costs $4.75, or $4.25 if you duplex print...

In this example, oddly enough, custom one-off runs are *cheaper* than
volume printing... As we all know, it is cheaper to move bits than dead
trees...

Lionel

=====
Lionel