[geeks] Anyone looking for a house in the Pacific Northwest

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Nov 27 15:45:17 CST 2002

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:37:29PM -0800, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Joshua,
>
> Overhead is the difference.
>
> The Internet Bookmobile prints on demand, using donated equipment,
> power & personnel.

Err, I was under the impression that they bought the equipment and that
only ther personnel was donated, but I could be wrong.

> Borders (or other bricks & mortar company) have to print them en masse,
> store them, ship the finished product and *pay* for equipment, power &
> personnel.
>
> The $1 payment is really a token payment, IMHO - as I recall, the raw
> materials (paper, toner & binding) probably cost $1 +/-.
>
> If you wanted to print a 250 page book at home, that would consume 5%
> of a 5,000  page toner cartridge (at $50 for the cartridge, that's
> $2.50 for the toner), add in a half-ream of paper ($2? $1 if your
> printer duplexes and you use both sides of the paper), and let's say
> binding is free... You spent $3.50 +/- for your *free* book... Factor
> in your time to oversee all this, and $5-7 doesn't seem that bad...

Where do this numbers for operating lasers printers of like $.02 and
$.03 per page come from then?

It would only be reasonable to duplex.  And I think we generally pay
less for paper, like, maybe $20 a box, which I think is 10 reams.  We do
a relatively large amount of printing at my house, and those boxs of
paper don't last all that long.

--
Joshua D. Boyd