[geeks] Re: geeks digest, Vol 1 #2157 - 20 msgs

jodys at helluin.org jodys at helluin.org
Thu Nov 21 15:05:23 CST 2002

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 07:48:33PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Thursday 21 November 2002 3:43 am, vance at neurotica.com wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > > Compared to the Full OED, it *is* a pamphlet...
> > >
> > > Full OED is a number of volumes, or VERY LARGE book full of VERY
> > > TINY type, with included magnifying glass...
> >
> > My copy of the unabridged Webster (it isn't the latest edition...
> > it's maybe 10 years old) is in four volumes of about 1800 pages
> > apiece.
>
> Not bad.
>
> The full OED is 20 volumes, with an additional 3 volumes of additions to
> the 2nd edition. It costs 1800UKP.

Which I would dearly love to own. You can also get a compressed version
that is the full OED in one rather large volume. They print nine real pages
to a page, magnifying glass included. Of course they also publish a
computerized version (of which I know little, though I think it's about
the same price as the "compressed" version ~US$400). A couple of years
ago when "The Proffessor and the Madman" came out they dropped they price
for the full set to US$999, and I had the money, but didn't buy. Oh well.

Jody