[geeks] nice VAX

Mike Hebel nimitz at speakeasy.net
Wed Nov 20 21:55:26 CST 2002

Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Wednesday, November 20, 2002, at 09:06 PM, Mike Hebel wrote:
>
> > Oddly enough, due to money restrictions it's going to have to come out
> > of storage.  Hopefully my new job makes enough for me to at least turn
> > it on once in a while. ;-)
>

>   Cool!  What OS are you gonna run on it?

Actually it was running NetBSD when I got it but I was given tapes for
VMS so I don't know.  This is not going to be any time soon so I might
plan for VMS even though I understand NetBSD (for the most part) right now.

If you check the archives I believe I mentioned that there was an audio
processing board available at one time for these (8khz mono).  I played
with the idea briefly of making it run the systems of the house, heat
the basement at the very least, and play odd sounds at random intervals.
  (I've seen my old 68k PowerBook play MP3's with a hard-coded MP3 app
so anything is possible... ;-)

But that's not unti I get back on my feet here...I think the depression
is finally over.  Now if I can just keep the looters off my back. (Atlas
Shrugged reference.)

Mike Hebel