[geeks] Educating users -- viruses

Scott McCool scottm at students.missouri.edu
Wed Nov 20 12:41:51 CST 2002

So I drew the short straw and got tasked with coming up with some
documentation to send a bunch of our users about virus protection and
email viruses.

We run a mail forwarding service for alumni (not on the domain this email
comes from, I've since moved on ), and recently people have been
complaining that "we're infecting them"... The office has no budget for a
real mail gateway filter right now, and likely won't until early next year
(believe me, I pushed for this).

Before I spend a lot of time creating this document, does anyone have a
standard "what is a virus", "how do some viruses impersonate users I
trust", "how do I stay safe", etc, document that they give out?  I found a
few decent FAQs, but most are fairly out of date...

Any suggestions?

-Scott