[geeks] oh man

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Nov 20 09:18:47 CST 2002

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:58:05AM +0100, roosmcd at dds.nl wrote:
> > Saw a demo video of the new GeforceFX card:
> >
> > http://download.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/2002/1120/kaigai1_3.mpg
> >
> > That is amazing stuff.  All I want to know now is how long until I can
> > get it in a Mac.  And why oh why isn't SGI keeping up with this stuff.
> > That video is amazing.
>
>  Fuzzy video with crackling sound? Take a look at this:

There was sound?  I didn't notice.  Anyway, my understanding is that
that video clip was made by camcorder pointing at the screen at a demo,
not an official clip by nvidia (which didn't want to seem to work for me).

>  http://www.fx2.se/showreel/showreel_2002_divx.avi

OK, downloaded and viewed it.  But, how much of it is done in real time?
How much of it is pure CG?  And why does Adobe seem to want to say that
After Effects was used?

And does anyone know how well SGI's OpenGL Shaders hold up on onyx2
level hardware compared to vertex and pixel shaders of today's quadro4s?

>  Onyx2 1 - GeForceFX 0.

I know that the Onyx line has a lot of geometry power, but they seem to
be emphasizing raw transformation power rather than programability.
Great if

--
Joshua D. Boyd