[geeks] Anybody can borrow me $10k? hehe....

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Nov 20 09:03:25 CST 2002

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 07:29:31AM +0000, Yuri K wrote:
> Hello Thomas,
>
> Tuesday, November 19, 2002, 7:51:39 (UTC), you wrote:
>
> TG> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2071915511
> and then some...
>
> but I have a question as a student of English:
>
>    Wasn't the subj supposed to read "Anybody can lend me $10k?"
>
>    Or am I still brainwashed by Commies? They taught us that one
>    borrows from...

Yes, the subject was pretty bad english.  "Anybody can lend me $10k?"
is also poor.  A better way to put it would be "Can anybody lend me
$10k?", or "May I please borrow $10k from somebody?".

However, certain patterns of bad english have become common over the
years.  They are generally to be avoided, although they often aren't by
people who should no better, but think it the best use of school is to
do what the teacher says not to do.  These patterns are also used for
dramatic effect.  I'm hoping that was the intent here, but I don't see
what the effect was supposed to be.

--
Joshua D. Boyd