[geeks] Postscript question

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Nov 19 17:58:03 CST 2002

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    Huh?  I just did the 10.2.2 upgrade last night, and it worked ok.
> What happened?

Well, first-off, I'm running OS X Server, but I don't know if that
matters.  I upgraded to 10.2.2, and, upon reboot, the system just
"hung" at the grey screen (just after the BootX logo and just before the
background switches to "Aqua Blue").  An hour or so later, I tapped the
reset button and asked the system to boot "verbose".

The login program wasn't starting because it claimed to have a version
mismatch with CoreServices.framework.  Half of the installed .kexts
refused to load because of "like errors".

Okay, single-user mode, then.  I forces it to fsck on a hunch, and, sure
enough, there are inconsistencies, even though the volume is journaled.
Thinking that might be it, I rebootes verbose again.  The .kexts all
loaded, but LoginWindow.app still doesn't.

Disgusted, I booted single-user, hand-started the network, and backed up
everything with ditto over NFS and went to bed (30GB of data takes a
while).

Today, I tried installing OSX (starting with 9 first, so that I can have
Classic).  9.2 installed okay, but I'm guessing it had a fit that I
installed it on partition 2 (leaving partition 1 for OSX), because it
rebooted as soon as the OS loaded.  And now, I can't get either OSX or
OS9 to properly run Disk Utility.

No, the disc isn't dead.  I just need to boot Linux or something that I
can use to zero-out the partition map.  Then I'm giving it a clean
reinstall of OS X 10.2 (not server) and listing the machine on eBay.

--
Jonathan Patschke
  "Albert Einstein nailed space-time, but the wild thing had him stumped.