[geeks] ide-scsi and cdparanoia

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Nov 19 00:07:19 CST 2002

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 12:03:54AM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> > I now have only one CD-Rom in this linux machine, and it is an IDE
> > CD-RW, and thus needs SCSI-IDE emulation.  Now, /dev/sr0 is
> > brw-rw-rw-    2 root     cdrom     11,   0 Jul  5  2000 /dev/sr0
> > so why can't a normal user use cdparanoia with this device, while root
> > can?
>
> Maybe this doesn't matter, but what're the permissions on the equivalent
> /dev/hd? device?

brwxrwxrwx    1 root     disk       3,   0 Jul  5  2000 /dev/hda

If sheds any light, CD playing programs work fine without being root.

Oh, and when non-root, the specific cdparanoia error is:
Checking /dev/sr0 for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/sr0 for cooked ioctl() interface
                /dev/sr0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
        Testing /dev/sr0 for SCSI interface
                No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device /dev/sr0

I don't get that when running it as root, of course.

--
Joshua D. Boyd